Tuesday, July 6

Marion County Fair

Visited: July 2

The Marion County Fair was an absolute blast! I was given the tour of the fairground by the Senior Fair Board President, Roger. I was very impressed with the animal barns and the cleanliness of them, even though it was almost the end of the fair week. I had the opportunity to witness the "barn olympics" in the show arena. 4-H'ers and advisors would spin around with their forehead on a bat multiple times and then dizzily try to race between a maze of hay bales! It was quite comical to watch and the crowd and participants seemed to be having a great time! I loved walking around the fair and saying hello to everyone. The people of the Marion County Fair were some of the nicest and most-welcoming people I have ever met! My most memorable moment of the fair was when John, a member of the Senior Fair Board, told me that I was going to ride in the weight-changing sled for the Ohio State Tractor Pullers event. I hopped up in the sled and Kurt, the sled operator, told me to HOLD ON! Even though the trucks only got up to about 30mph, it sure seemed a lot faster! It was quite a bumpy ride the first time, but the second pull went much smoother. When the trucks get to the end (may I note that both of the times I rode the trucks made "full pulls"), it feels like you're hitting a brick wall when they stop! After the INCREDIBLE rides, I visited the Marion County Jr. Fair Queen, Maggie, in the show arena at the Showman of Show. Maggie was a bubbly girl who makes for a wonderful queen! Then I headed back to the truck pulls and got to take a ride with Roger in the tractor that smooths out the track after each pull. Thank you, especially to Marion County Senior Fair Board members, for an unforgettable fair visit!

OFMA Convention 2010