Monday, July 19

Adams County Fair

Visited: July 19

Weigh-ins for some of the species were taking place when I arrived. I was soon greeted by Doug, the Senior Fair Board President, who gave me a wonderful background on the history of the Adams County Fair! I was surprised to know that he knew a lot about my home fair of Fairfield County, too. He expressed gratitude to the community for its strong support of the youth and the fair. He said the community businesses and families helped to sponsor a new show arena. It was a fabulous show arena! The dedication ceremony was to take place later in the afternoon, but unfortunately I couldn't be present because I had another fair to travel to. Doug said that the fairground is always open to the youth, the clubs are welcome to use it throughout the year. Cloverbud members, also, were being interviewed, which was something that was new to me! I think it is a wonderful idea to have the Cloverbuds get a feel for what a project interview might be like in the future. Doug told me that they have around 140 feeder calves! That is an insane amount of feeder calves to be shown at the county fair! It was, also, the first year to have turkeys and ducks at the fair. Later that day, there was going to be a lumberjack competition put on by the Stihl team. There was also going to be a tractor driving competition, where you would have to try to back a 4-wheel trailer up into a "mock" barn. The fairgrounds also features a really neat curved wooden grandstand. It is one of the very few left at the fairs in the state. I really liked meeting the queen and 1st runner-up. I met more people at this fair than any other fair! Doug introduced me to almost everyone we passed. Adams County has some of the friendliest people I have met! They were so kind to me and many people thanked me for coming to their fair. I felt very welcome at the fair. It was fantastic! The Adams County Fair was a beautiful fairgrounds to visit!

OFMA Convention 2010